Venom season comes to heartbreaking end against Revolution

By Matt Watkins

For the Amarillo Globe-News

A late rally came up short for the Amarillo Venom as their season came to a heartbreaking end in a 77-71 loss at the hands of the Texas Revolution in a thrilling Champions Indoor Football South Division championship game at the Amarillo Civic Center Complex Cal Farley Coliseum on Monday night.

The Venom trailed 77-71 with 14 seconds to play following a Jacob Felton 25-yard field goal.

On the ensuing kickoff, Felton booted an onside kick to perfection as the Venom recovered the ball at their own 15-yard line with 12 seconds to play.

The final drive didn’t come without controversy. Venom quarterback Nate Davis threw an out route to receiver Cedric Gilbert near the Texas bench. While Gilbert attempted to make the catch the Texas bench interfered with the play by catching the pass in front of Gilbert that led to no call from the line judge.

“There were a few bad calls all night,” Venom head coach Julian Reese said. “The referees’s are only human but they definitely made some mistakes.”

Davis executed the final drive down inside the Texas 20-yard line with completions to Gilbert and DeAndre Perry.

With 3.4 seconds left, the Venom had one last gasp. Davis tried to thread the needle to Raymond Johnson at the goalline for the game-winning score, however the pass was broken up by Revolution defender Frankie Solomon Jr., helping Texas survive the victory.

Offense was the story of the night with both teams combining for 148 points and a combined 744 offensive yards.

The Venom defense didn’t have an answer for a potent Texas offense that scored on 11 of its 12 possessions.

After Amarillo opened up a 41-34 lead after trading touchdowns with Texas, the Revolution turned the tide in the final 5:08 of the first half.

Revolution quarterback Chris Dixon punched in a score from 3-yards out, tying the contest at 41-41. After the first stop of the game by the…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top