CLOSE

President Trump called the Governor of Guam, Eddie Calvo, to tell him that the North Korea threat will actually help the island when it comes to tourism. Jose Sepulveda(@josesepulvedatv) has more.
Buzz60

Top Trump administration officials sought to assure Americans on Sunday that the nation is not on the brink of nuclear war with North Korea, despite the president’s recent threats.

National security adviser H.R. McMaster and Central Intelligence Agency Director Mike Pompeo said an attack by North Korea does not appear imminent, and that the threat of war is no closer today than it was last week.

“I think we’re not closer to war than a week ago, but we are closer to war than we were a decade ago,” McMaster said on ABC’s This Week. “The danger is much greater and is growing every day, with every missile test, with the consideration of possibly a sixth nuclear test. And so what we can no longer do is afford to procrastinate.”

“I’ve heard folks talking about [the U.S.] being on the cusp of nuclear war,” Pompeo said on Fox News Sunday. “I’ve seen no intelligence that would indicate that we’re in that place today.”

McMaster said President Trump’s references to the U.S. military being “locked and loaded” is an effort to maintain peace, not provoke war. The military has made no significant movement of troops or equipment in recent days to prepare to fight North Korea.

“The United States military is always locked and loaded, but the purpose of capable, ready forces is to preserve peace and prevent war,” he said. “George Washington said it: The most effective way of preserving peace is to be prepared for war.”

The two officials spoke in the wake of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s threat last week to send missiles into the waters off Guam, a United States territory in the South Pacific. Such a flight would take 14…